Van Kahvaltı Evi: The Kurdish Breakfast Club
In Turkey’s predominantly Kurdish eastern provinces, breakfast is not just for breakfast anymore. Particularly in the city of Van, not far from Turkey’s border with Iran, the morning repast has been turned into serious business: the town is filled with dozens of kahvaltı salonları – breakfast salons – that serve a dizzying assortment of farm-fresh breakfast items day and night.
In recent years this boffo breakfast has been working its way westward, with several Van-style kahvaltı salonları now open in Istanbul. Our favorite, by far, is Van Kahvaltı Evi (“Van Breakfast House”) in Beyoğlu’s Cihangir neighborhood. The restaurant has quickly become one of the area’s most popular, and it’s easy to see why. The people running the friendly place – a crew of hip, young Kurds who seem to be members of the slow food movement without even realizing it – serve a mean Van breakfast, bringing in most of their ingredients, some of them organic, from back east.
Read the rest of the review at Culinary Backstreets.
Post Tags: Beyoğlu, breakfast, Cihangir, eggs, Istanbul restaurants, specialty foods, vegetarian
- Jan 22, 2010 : Istanbul Eats » “No Reservations” in Istanbul: Our Take
- Sep 24, 2010 : The Breakfast Beast of the Turkish East | Istanbul Eats
- Dec 6, 2012 : Witt Istanbul Hotel in Cihangir | Passing White Daisies
- Jan 19, 2013 : Expatriate Tales: Living in Istanbul | EazyBookings.com
- Jan 19, 2013 : Expatriate Tales: Living in Istanbul | Lombok Beach Hotel
- Jan 19, 2013 : Expatriate Tales: Living in Istanbul | TravelBestRates
- May 16, 2013 : A week in Istanbul | travel better
- Jul 4, 2013 : Istanbul: Beyond the Protests | woshoudebuhao
- Oct 28, 2013 : Postcard from Istanbul « La Vita Cucinare: Life Lived to Cook
- Nov 10, 2013 : Istanbul Jam - Apples Under My Bed - A food diary.
- Nov 14, 2013 : Istanbul 03 + News | greenlaundry
- Nov 20, 2013 : On food | Deeper Skies
- Dec 10, 2013 : Expatriate Tales: Living in Istanbul | All Travel Best
- Dec 26, 2013 : Expatriate Tales: Living in Istanbul | Best in Travel News
- Mar 22, 2014 : İstanbul | Habla Rachel
- May 14, 2014 : Snapshots From Turkey: Kenji’s Best Bites From Istanbul | Recipes Pinboard
- May 24, 2014 : Snapshots From Turkey: Kenji’s Best Bites From Istanbul | endlessness
- Jun 5, 2014 : Güle Güle, for now | Chef Sally Jane
- Aug 18, 2014 : Vegetarian Food in Turkey: Our Survival Guide
- Jan 11, 2015 : We Travel We Eat | Istanbul, Turkey.